Laws of the Game U10
Leavenworth County Soccer U10 Rules (SSG) Spring 2022
Law 1 – The Field of Play
- Dimensions: The field of play must be rectangular. The length of the touchline must be greater than the length of the goal line.
- Length: minimum 45 yards maximum 60 yards
- Width: minimum 35 yards maximum 45 yards
- Center Circle: Radius of 8 yards
- Penalty Mark: 8 yards from midpoint of goal line under the goal’s upright
- Goal Post must be securely anchored.
- Spectator and team benches will be on opposite sides of the field.
Law 2 – The Ball: Size four (4).
Law 3 – The Number of Players:
- A match is played by two teams, each consisting of not more than seven (7) players, one of whom is the goalkeeper.
- Minimum number of players is 4 including one of whom is the goalkeeper
- Substitutions: Unlimited Substitutions.
- Substitution procedure to conform to FIFA
- Substitutions may be allowed at half time, after goals, goal kicks, own teams throw in and own teams corner kick.
- Team not in possession of the corner kick, or throw-in may also substitute providing the team in possession of the corner kick or throw-in wishes to substitute.
- Playing time: Each player SHALL play a minimum of 50% of the total playing time. Teams and matches may be coed. (monitored by league, not the referee)
Law 4 – The Players’ Equipment:
- Player may not wear any item of equipment that may be dangerous to themselves or others to include jewelry.
- Player wearing a cast must be deemed safe by the referee. Non-uniform clothing is allowed based on weather conditions, but uniforms must still distinguish teams.
- Shin guards are required and must be covered by socks.
- Toe cleats are not permitted, and the shoe must be deemed safe by the referee.
- Goalkeeper must wear a shirt that distinguishes him from other players. Goalkeeper may wear a soft-billed baseball cap.
- Teams will not purchase uniforms which conflict with the referee's primary color of Gold.
Law 5 – The Referee:
- U.S.S.F. Registered referee.
- All rule infringements shall be briefly explained to the offending player.
Law 6 –The Assistant Referees:
Not required. The Referee may use club linesmen if desired.
Law 7 – The Duration of the Match:
Conform to FIFA with the following exceptions
- The match will be divided into two (2) equal halves of twenty-five (25) minutes each. There shall be a half-time interval of five (5) minutes.
- Except for tournament play, games tied at the end of regulation will end as a tie.
Law 8 – The Start and Restart of Play:
Conform to FIFA with the exception of the opponents of the team taking the kick-off are at least eight (8) yards from the ball until it is in play.
Law 9 – The Ball in and Out of Play:
Conform to FIFA.
Law 10 – The Method of Scoring:
Conform to FIFA.
- At any time in the 2nd half of play, one team has a goal differential of 10 goals; game may be terminated at the losing coach’s discretion. Decision rest solely with the losing team’s coach.
Law 11 – Offside:
Law 12 – Fouls and Misconduct:
Conform to FIFA with the exceptions.
- No ball may be directly punted or drop-kicked in the air by the goalkeeper from one penalty area into the opponents’ penalty area. The infraction is punished by giving the ball to the opponents for an indirect free kick taken at the center spot on the halfway line.
- No “deliberate” headers will be permitted. The game will be restarted with an Indirect Kick by the opponents at the point of the infraction.
- Slide tackling is not permitted.
- Players receiving a yellow card will be required to leave the field and may be replaced. The player may re-enter the game at the next legal substitution.
- Red Cards- Red cards issued to players or coaches will result in the person having to leave the field of play for the rest of the existing game and to have to miss his/her next scheduled game. Person must leave the playing area and in the opinion of the referee be far enough away from play to be of no further consequence before play resumes.
Law 13 – Free Kicks:
Conform to FIFA with the exception that all opponents are at least eight (8) yards from the ball.
Law 14 – The Penalty Kick:
Conform to FIFA with the exception that the penalty mark is made eight (8) yards from the midpoint between the goalposts and equidistant to them.
Law 15 – The Throw-In:
Conform to FIFA. At this age group, the player can get a 2nd chance if the initial TI is an infraction.
Law 16 – The Goal Kick:
Conform to FIFA.
Law 17 – The Corner Kick:
Conform to FIFA with the exception that opponents remain at least eight (8) yards from the ball until it is in play.
- The referee shall stop the game when an injury appears, and the player requires assistance. If a coach and/AR-Club linesman see an injury before the referee, they should notify the referee.
- Players must be Under 10 years of age during the entire season. (monitored by league, not the referee)
Last updated 1.29.2022