Laws of the Game U8
Leavenworth County Soccer U8 Rules (SSG) Spring 2022
Law 1 – The Field of Play
- Dimensions: The field of play must be rectangular. The length of the touchline must be greater than the length of the goal line.
- Length: minimum 25 yards maximum 35 yards
- Width: minimum 20 yards maximum 30 yards
- Field Markings: Distinctive lines not more than (5) inches wide. The field of play is divided into two halves by a halfway line. The center mark is indicated at the midpoint of the halfway line. The center mark is indicated at the midpoint of the halfway line. A circle with a radius of four (4) yards is marked around it.
- The Goal Area: A goal area is defined at each end of the field as follows: Two lines are drawn at right angles to the goal line three (3) yards from the inside each goalpost. These lines extend into the field of play for a distance of three (3) yards and are joined by a line drawn parallel with the goal line. The area bounded by these lines and the goal line is the goal area.
- The Penalty Area: none.
- Flag posts: none.
- The Corner Arc: Conform to FIFA.
- Goals: Goals must be placed on the center of each goal line. Hockey style goals will be used.
- Goals must be securely anchored
- Spectator and team benches should be on opposite sides of the field.
- With the referee’s permission, Coaches will be allowed on the field at stoppage of play to instruct or reset player upon permission of the referee. Coaches will be required to leave the field of play prior to the official starting play.
Law 2 – The Ball: Size four (3).
Law 3 – The Number of Players:
- A match is played by two teams, each consisting of not more than four players. There are NO goalkeepers.
- Substitutions: At any stoppage of play and unlimited.
- Playing time: Each player SHALL play a minimum of 50% of the total playing time. Teams and matches may be coed.
Law 4 – The Players’ Equipment:
- Player may not wear any item of equipment that may be dangerous to themselves or others to include jewelry.
- Player wearing a cast will require permission slip from a doctor and must be deemed safe by the referee. Non-uniform clothing is allowed based on weather conditions, but uniforms must still distinguish teams.
- Shin guards are required and must be covered by socks.
- Toe cleats are not permitted, and the shoe must be deemed safe by the referee.
- Non-uniform clothing is allowed based on weather conditions, but uniforms must still distinguish teams.
Law 5 – The Referee:
- Coaches from both teams will act as referee
- All rule infringements shall be briefly explained to the offending player.
Law 6 –The Assistant Referees:
Law 7 – The Duration of the Match:
- The match shall be divided into four (4) equal, ten (10) minute quarters.
- There shall be a two (2) minute break between quarters one and two and another two (2) minute break between quarters three and four. There shall be a half-time interval of five (5) minutes.
Law 8 – The Start and Restart of Play:
Conform to FIFA, with the exception of the opponents of the team taking the kick-off are at least four (4) yards from the ball until it is in play.
Law 9 – The Ball in and Out of Play:
Conform to FIFA.
Law 10 – The Method of Scoring:
- A goal may be scored from a touch-line quick kick
Law 11 – Offside:
Law 12 – Fouls and Misconduct:
- All fouls shall result in a direct free kick.
- The referee/coach/parent must explain ALL infringements to the offending player.
- If a child is being too rambunctious then the game official will ask the coach to make a substitution of that player to give the child a chance to calm down before returning to play.
- No cards shown for misconduct.
- No slide tackling permitted
Law 13 – Free Kicks:
Conform to FIFA with the exceptions that all kicks are direct, and all opponents are at least four (4) yards from the ball until it is in play.
Law 14 – The Penalty Kick:
Law 15 – The Throw-In:
Quick kicks will be taken from the spot on the touchline where the ball went out of play. Coaches will move defending players far enough away that the ball may be played.
Law 16 – The Goal Kick:
Conform to FIFA with the exception that opponents must remain outside the goal area and at least four (4) yards from the ball until it is in play.
Law 17 – The Corner Kick:
Conform to FIFA with the exception that opponents remain at least four (4) yards from the ball until it is in play.
Last updated 2.21.2022